A hydroelectric power plant is to be built in a mountain
region. Water flows from the elevated reservoir through
pipes to a hydraulic turbine, whose shaft is connected to a electric
generator. Thus, the mechanical energy of water is converted to
energy. A designer orders some 0.5-m-diameter-pipes but he needs the
engineer to specify the exact number of intake pipes.
What is known:
- The water surface in the reservoir is 105 m higher than the turbine.
entrance to the intake pipes is located 5 m below the water surface
in the reservoir.
- Water enters the intake pipe at 1 m/s and exhausts to a river directly
after exiting the turbine with almost the same velocity.
- The ambient pressure is 1 bar.
- The pipe diameter is 0.5 m.
- The power output is 1 MW.