A parallel-shaft gearbox is planned to be installed on a new
exercise machine. This gearbox receives work through a high-speed shaft
and then delivers
a low-speed shaft. The gearbox is cooled on its outer
by convection with the surrounding air. A test is needed to exam
the performance of this
What is known:
- The gearbox receives 60 kW through a high-speed shaft.
- The outer surface of the gearbox is 0.8 m2.
- Heat transfer coefficient between the gearbox and its surrounding
air is 1.8 kW/m2-K
- Temperature of the outer surface of the gearbox is 40oC.
- The ambient pressure is 1 bar, and the ambient temperature is 25oC.