A stunt man tries to jump a car from a floating barge to a dock. As the car accelerates forward, the barge pulls away from the dock. Will the car land on the dock?
What is known:
- Both the car and the barge are at rest when the car starts to move.
- The mass of the car is mC = 500 kg.
- The mass of the barge is mB = 2500 kg.
- When the car reaches the end of the barge, the barge has a velocity of 0.885 m/s relative to the dock, moving away from the dock.
- The horizontal forces exerted on the barge by the water can be neglected.