Large Aquarium Viewing Tank Wall
A new aquarium is being designed and the owner wants a clear, 3 meter high wall
for visitors to view the fish. It has been decided that the minimum spacing for
the support columns is 2 meters to maximize the viewing surface.
What is known:
- The water level will be a maximum of 3 m.
- The vertical beams will be spaced 2 m on center.
- The length of the wall is not known.
- The top of the wall is not supported.
- The beams are mounted through the floor (can assume
a fixed joint condition).
- A factor of safety of 3.0 is required.
- The I-beam yield stress is 250 MPa.