Car Engine Design
In his senior capstone design, Max joined a team to design
car engine supported by Handa car company.
The Handa company provided a prototype of four-stroke four-cylinder
Spark-ignition (SI) car engine. Students were required to take some measurements,
prepare some designs, and do some calculations. Finally, they needed
to report the power generated by the engine.
What is known:
- The displacement volume of each cylinder is 1.0 L.
- The crankshaft rotates at 2600 RPM.
- The clearance volume is 15% of the volume when the piston is at the bottom dead center.
- The pressure and temperature of the gas-fuel mixture just before compression are:
P = 100 kPa and T = 15oC
- The maximum temperature the engine cylinder can tolerate is T = 1800oC.